Design & Technology
In Design & Technology at Caterham High School we aim to deliver technology as a worthwhile and enjoyable experience that is taught with enthusiasm; preparing students to become effective and considerate consumers of products. With so much of the world around us today being designed and manufactured; products such as cars, gadgets, fast food packaging and advertising for example, we need to be able to make decisions about products that will not have a negative impact upon the environment or the wellbeing of others. We also aim to teach the skills needed to be able to become designers of these types of products or work within the manufacturing industry. In Food and Textiles technology we offer students invaluable life skills to be used on a daily basis either through employment or as a hobby.
“In design and technology pupils combine practical and technological skills with creative thinking to design and make products and systems that meet human needs. They learn to use current technologies and consider the impact of future technological developments. They learn to think creatively and intervene to improve the quality of life, solving problems as individuals and members of a team.” [National Curriculum for D&T – QCA]
Our department is split over two areas. The first is our Food/Textiles area which consists of two food rooms and one textiles room staffed by 3 teachers and two part time technicians. The second suite of rooms comprises of two Resistant Materials workshops, one multi purpose Graphics/RM workshop, a computer suite and one dedicated Graphics suite with computers and CAD/CAM facilities including 2 Laser cutters, cutter plotters, midi mills and a 3D Modella scanner/cutter. In this area we have four teachers and one full time technician.
We believe that it is important that pupils of all ages can:
- Work individually and together in teams to explore and develop ideas.
- Analyse existing products from the past and present, making critical comments about them that will enable students to think of ways to improve the product.
- Understand the moral, social, cultural and emotional impact of design in the world that we live in.
- Understand the need to consider the environment and sustainability when designing and making products and choosing products to buy.
- Make choices regarding the economic impact of their decisions by working out the costs involved.
- Be able to work with a range of different materials including, compliant graphic materials, resistant materials, electronics, ICT, food and textiles.
- Understand the need to consider lifestyle choices regarding healthy eating and nutrition to improve health and well being.
- Develop their manufacturing capabilities across all material areas, working with care and accuracy.
- Use ICT and CAD/CAM to make high quality products.
- Develop their confidence in expressing their ideas to others and their own self esteem.
- Develop their creativity and problem solving skills by being curious, showing initiative, ingenuity and resourcefulness.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the importance of health and safety for themselves and others.
We expect all pupils to behave in a sensible and safe manner and ask all pupils and parents/carers to sign a contract to agree to this.
We expect all pupils to show respect to other people and treat them in the same way as they would expect to be treated themselves. This includes teachers, fellow pupils, technical and support staff.
We expect all students to complete class work to the best of their ability, taking care with presentation and the quality of work produced.
We have high expectations of our students and aim to motivate them to achieve the highest grades possible.
We expect pupils to regularly complete the homework that is set; all homework tasks can be seen on the school website via homework online. These frequently have additional support documents attached to help pupils in the completion of their work.
We expect pupils to arrive to class prepared. This means bringing the correct equipment or resources for that lesson i.e. pencils, colour pencils, food ingredients.