Computing and ICT is a very important part of school life at Caterham High School. Computing alongside ICT is used as a valuable tool and a key way to enhance learning. In key stage 3 students get involved in problem solving through the use of programming. Together at Caterham, we have adopted a more interactive and user friendly approach through the use of various software’s. This will enhance and challenge students in a more fun classroom setting whilst teaching the importance of computing. Computing is concerned with logical and abstract thinking through the use of algorithms to solve problems.
- Use logical reasoning to solve problems
- Use of algorithms as a sequence of instructions
- Break down problems into steps to achieve desired outcome
- Looking at hardware and the development of software
ICT focuses primarily on communicating and various mediums that we use in order to connect with people around the world, whether it is by face to face, telephone or social networking. We look at how ICT assist as a method of communication. ICT is taught throughout all subjects. At key stage 4 they have an opportunity to select a GCSE in an ICT-based subject. There is a very high demand for ICT at both Key Stage 4 and 5.
- Ability to use a variation of software’s
- Knowledge of website building
- Various methods of communication
- Data security and methods to stay safe online
- How ICT systems have evolved
The computer area is always very active outside lesson. A variety of catch up sessions have recently been introduced to make sure all students achieve their maximum potential.